Potatoes pancakes are a favorite dish in Polish cuisine for many years, especially for a cold season. This dish is easy to prepare and the ingredients are cheap, therefore the pancakes were served in peasant homes but also in royal palaces.
There are several recipes for delicious potato pancakes. This one I tried just recently. All photos were done by me while doing it. We all ate it with a great appetite. Potato pancakes are easy to prepare. Check our recipes for Apple Pancakes (Placki z jablkami) and also the newest one for Polish Pancakes (Nalesniki) . Both are my favorite for easy dessert or light dinner.
1 pound (~ 500 g) of fresh potatoes
2 ounces (60 g) of sifted flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 clove garlic, crushed
1/2 teaspoon marjoram
2 1/2 tablespoons milk
1 tablespoons cooking oil
1. Grate fresh potatoes first, do not keep them on the open air for too long because they would start changing color and they may ferment.
2. In the bowl mix together: flour, milk, egg, crushed garlic, marjoram, add salt and pepper
3. Add the grated potatoes to this mixture and blend thoroughly.
4. Heat cooling oil on a frying pan (medium heat).
5. Form patties and place it on the hot oil.
6. When patties are brown on one side then flip them to another side, remove, serve and eat.
I tried it with the mushroom sauce and it was very good!
Mushroom sauce/gravy can be prepared from fresh sliced mushrooms fried with hot sliced pieces of onion. One can also use mushroom gravy or can mushrooms instead. One can add the sour cream or the mixture of milk with flour and spices for a better taste.